Thursday, September 24, 2009

1 Dress + 1 Year = More looks than you could have imagined


To most women (certainly to me) having to wear the same item every day for even a week would be insanely difficult. One month? I don't think so. One year? HELL no! It is clear though, that Sheena Matheiken is not just any woman. In a bid to raise funds for the Akanksha Foundation, a grassroots foundation dedicated to modernizing and revolutionizing education in India, Sheena created The Uniform Project.

Her goal is to wear one dress for an entire year. Of course, for the sake of general health and cleanliness, she had seven of the same dress made, one for each day of the week. New looks are created daily, with the use of thrifted, hand-made and/or donated items. Sometimes these looks are inspired by current affairs, like the swearing in of Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, Sonia Sotomayor and India's Day of Independence. Others can be dictated by mood or weather.

Since May 2009 Sheena has raised US$13,775, which will go to funding uniforms and other educational expenses for Akanksha's School Project. Since the project's conception, she has donated a dollar a day of her own money but all other reader donations would be more than welcome.

On a personal level, I find Sheena's work absolutely inspiring. On a creative/fashion level, I find her totally genius. Some of her looks are very eye-catching (to put it mildly) and it would certainly take guts to wear most of her creations. Others look more wearable and seem almost 'normal'. But hey, kudos to Sheena's unbridled creativity and dedication to her cause and craft. She has managed to fuse charity and fashion in a new and creative manner, and hopefully will serve as an inspiration for all who visit her site.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamshaid Ayaz said...

I went into Doll House for a Sherri Hill dress and I had the worst time. The staff was rude and no help to me – they made me feel as if I didn’t belong into their store. I well never return there and I am glad I didn’t purchase my dress from that store.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home