Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Australia's Next Top Model Cycle 5 - Week 3

Oh Franky, Franky, Franky! At this point, I think she is the weakest link and we should say goodbye to her. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

This week, the girls had their makeovers. Some girls were given drastic changes and other not so much. Laura got asked by Jonathan what she'd say if she were told that she was to go bald. The reaction was hands clapped to mouth and a look of shock. But you do sort of get the feeling that the girl would have gone for it. The same can't be said for Franky, who upon being told that her hair would be cropped, promptly announced that she wasn't doing it and would rather leave the competition.

In fact, she said this more than once and were I in Sarah Murdoch's shoes, I would have let her go. Unfortunately, Franky belatedly seemed to realise how much she does actually want to be in the show and did not make good on her threat to walk. Shame really, as she just gave more dead fish in her photo shoot.

Sponsor Maybelline New York made an appearance this week, with the girls doing an ad as their challenge. Sparks flew when Lola stole Cassi's line. True, Cassi probably would not have been able to deliver said line with the same oomph and panache as Lola did, but I still thought that was uncalled for. The situation wasn't made any better with Lola winning the challenge; a hamper of designer goodies.

The photoshoot was done on location at Swain Park with the theme of natural beauty. Unsurprisingly, Cassi, Clare (though its not my favourite shot of her, I agree with Alex Perry that its very Cate Blanchett as Galadriel) and Tahnee absolutely shone. I also loved Adele's photo but I think the first thing you notice is hair. Laura looked nice, but nothing particularly special, and Madison reminds me of a very young Brooke Shields. Final nods go to Eloise who looks utterly at home doing natural beauty.

I thought Franky, Lola (really stiff looking), Georgie and Mikarla were right at the bottom. The judges agreed and Georgie was sent home. I had hoped that Franky would be the one to go. Her meltdown at makeover shows that she's not as dedicated to being a model as she would like to think. Struggling at 2 out of 3 shoots is another bad sign.

I suppose we can just wait with bated breath to see who goes next.