Wednesday, November 23, 2005

What to wear, what to wear...

As we know, summer is well and truly on its way here. So here's the problem, what does a girl to wear to work to look both summery and professional at the same time? Given the clothes she already has. This season's Morrocan/Gypsy/Boho/Summer Holiday/Beach Chic/Luxe Pool Party looks really don't help with putting together an outfit that suitable for the office. I'm still getting away with my staple of flowy-ish cotton skirts, strappy tops with shrugs and cardis and lots of new dresses. No trousers. At all. Maybe the odd long shorts now and then.

The thing is, I don't want to look totally officified. Yes, I made that up. I want to look well, a little more casual. A little more me. Which is very ironic since I love dressing up. I've never been one for corporate wear though I think its a fantastic look. Which then poses a problem with dress down Fridays since that's the time when I can dress casual. So, after dressing pretty much just a-little-more-dressed-up-than-merely-casual all week, how does one do casual-er. Keeping in mind I'm going to have to forgo my little rara skirts and denim minis. *sigh* Its a hard life. So I actually just dress the same all week.

Every night I think I really need more clothes but when I think about it, I do actually buy quite a lot of clothes. I'm investing in lots of dresses. When I decide to wear a dress to work, the decision is simple. I don't have to find a top, then choose a skirt to go with it, only to decide I don't want that top with said skirt and the search begins once again. Vicious cycles, anyone?

And I really need to choose the outfit the night before because it takes up way too much time in the morning if I decided to do it then. Trust me, getting ready for work when I know what to wear = 40 mins tops. If I have to pick it out that morning itself, you're looking at about an hour. By which time I usually just fall back one some trusty dress or other.

Oh, other problem is that I don't want to wear something too often in case it gets recognised. Umm, yeah so most of the people I work with are males (like maybe just 10% or 15% are females up here) and they probably won't notice, but by God, I will. And I've also got some friends, female friends working in other areas so just in case I see them...

Given the dramas I've encountered, I've pretty much decided that so long as I don't expose too much leg and cleavage, it'll pass as work-wear. A very simplified idea but one that's been working pretty damn well so far. Incidentally, I haven't shopped in nearly 2 weeks. GAAAAH!!!! I have to fix that. Maybe after work today? Hmmm, I certainly hope so. Maybe I can find some new work-wear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home