Thursday, October 19, 2006

ANTM Cycle 7: The Hair Show

I am addicted to America's Next Top Model (I also love Australia's Next Top Model but that's a totally different ANTM). I do however, notice that the Aussie girls are a lot less screamy than their American counterparts. Which makes them a whole lot more bearable in my books. I know they're young and everything, but no need to stress the whole model = brainless theories. Oh, and not to mention the bitchiness too. I really don't get the whole scream thing though. Okay, you're excited. Learn how to express that without the raising of the vocal volume. Geeez...

Another thing that annoys me to no end is how all the girls say they want this "more than anything in their lives" (that's pretty much a direct quote from....oh, all of them). Then when it comes to nude or semi-nude shoots, they suddenly remember that they come from pretty conservative/religious backgrounds and that they can't go through with it.

Or they say that they're wiling to go through whatever it takes to become a top model. And then whinge, and whine, and cry about how they're being madeover. I mean hello? These are the pros we're talking about. They've been in the business for years, compared to these girls and their 10 minutes of fame. Its just ludicrous that the 'models' would know more about looks/hair/makeup than the sylists. Besides, they should know by now that all models are required to take on whatever look a designer or shoot director wants them to. They need to be versatile and they need to shut up about it. As always, I have to use Kate Moss as prime example. I doubt she ever told the photographers, "but this isn't me."

But when all is said and done, it makes for entertaining TV. I love the shoots as always (I so want Jay Manuel's job, or at least to be his friend). Despite the fact they do some really whacky stuff, the look generally is editorial and high fashion. And from personal experience, the Malaysian magazines could really learn a thing or two about doing cool shoots. Jane and I have whinged about this before. I'm not sure about recently, but when I was still living in Malaysia, the Cleo spreads were just done with a plain coloured background. Pretty boring shit, to tell the truth. I know they probably have a much smaller budget than some other international fashion magazines, but there's this thing called location. And Malaysia has a lot of great spots for on-location shoots. Its doesn't have to be some exotic beach resort, I thought the traditional homes would make great sets. Even the markets. But anyway, I have digressed once again.

Anyway, I know that these cycles are all shown out of whack, the US airing it 1st and I suppose Asia right at the other end of the scale. And I also know that some of you follow thisand will not have got up to season 7 yet, so I'm just posting photos of a shoot and I won't mention any names. But I just must mention that out of the 12 girls here, 5 of them have names starting with the letter 'M'. Just an observation. This is the 2nd 'proper' shoot of this season. I decided not to post the 1st one as it was too much of a giveaway as far as the girls go. Plus I didn't think it was arty enough. I'm sure when you see these photos that the style of this shoot was really out there.













0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home