Monday, June 19, 2006

Winter Stylin'

You know, I find winter fashion a little hard to work around. At least over here in Perth it is. In London it was pretty easy as it was always cold in winter. The standard outfit would be jeans/trousers with at least 2 layers, one of which being a long-sleaved top preferably knitted top, boots, long wool coat, scarf, hat and gloves. In fact, I would never even go outdoors without at least that much on. Forget even wearing a skirt. I have no idea how some people managed it. As for the Scotts of ye olde days gone by, I have no comment.

Perth weather, and by weather I mean seasons, has been a little off lately. Usually we'd start having really hot weather in December but last year it was still noticeably chilly. In fact, when Scott and I got back from Malaysia in January, we still had jeans and at least a cardi (for me) on at night. It got hot in the end, right up to end of April. And typically, its got really cold by now, which is mid-June. Not that I'm complaining or anything, its nice that we're still having fine sunny days. Its just that I'm positive this means it'll be colder for longer. Not really longer but psychologically it'll seem longer.

And the problem with this hot/warm-ish weather is that I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO WEAR. There, couldn't make it any clearer, could I? As opposed to just rugging up all the time, I now have to try find a balance of being warm enough in the early mornings and possible late evenings, as well as still not being too warm on the sunnier days. This means wading through numerous combinations like:
  • Skirt and short-sleave top
  • Skirt with long-sleave top
  • Trousers with short-sleave top
  • Trousers with long-sleave top

And this isn't even including pencil or full skirt. And then there's the whole coat vs jacket thing. Although I have to admit, its mostly coats, especially if I'm wearing a skirt. I wish I could say the possibilities are endless but that's not entirely true. It just makes it a little harder deciding what to wear at night.

Oh, there's also the option of whether or not I'll be doing lots of walking, which dictates the shoes I wear (I have limited options there anyway, namely black or choc brown round-toe pumps or black pointy stilettoes) which in turn, dictates whether I have a black or brown anchoring, which then again dictates what I eventually wear. No, I'm sure other people aren't as difficult as I am.

I won't even go into bags and jewellery. Those are merely incidentals. But the trend as I notice it to be is this: summer calls for a lot of white while winter, autumn and parts of spring are mostly black or brown. Sometimes I wear colour for fun, but its a lok easier sticking to a template. Yeah, I'm getting very used to using templates over here at work.

One good thing about winter work wear is that its easy to dress smart. Its a lot harder in the summer when its 40 degrees out and all I want to have on is nothing but my bare skin. Not a very good look at the office. I suppose I'll have to keep a look-out for what women wear here in summer and see how far I can push those boundaries. But fear not, I'll still keep it decent. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home